The Game Awards 2018


From God of War’s winnings, to the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate announcement, there were many exciting things from The Game Awards 2018 on 6th December. God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Celeste and Fortnite won the most awards, with God of War winning the Game of the Year title. Although Fortnite has been popular recently, it’s good to see that it didn’t steal as much of the award nominations. I’m also glad that an independent game such as Celeste managed to get nominated for Game of the Year even if it didn’t win. Despite that, I’m impressed that the video game managed to win two out of their three nominations for Games For Impact and Best Independent Game.

This event was also a good opportunity for video game companies to unveil some of their announcements such as new games and extra content. Some of the new games announced included The Last Campfire by Studio Wildcard and The Outer Worlds by Obsidian Entertainment, amongst continuations of already released games.  I’m trying to hope that these games live up to their creators' hype, especially since most games announced seem to be continuations. Even if the game has been somewhat popular, certain franchises can only last so long, especially if they release little information like Dragon Age did.

One of the most surprising announcements of The Game Awards 2018, however, was the addition of a new fighter in the new Super Smash Bros. game:

With Super Smash Bros. Ultimate launching today, we thought we’d heard everything there was to say about its roster. Nope. The PlayStation-only Persona franchise contributed its lead character, Joker from Persona 5 to be the 76th fighter, in a surprise that caught everyone off guard.

Even though I don’t not own a Switch console myself and have never played a Super Smash Bros. game ever, I’ve played Persona 5. This only leaves me wondering how good Joker will be in the game, and whether we can expect more non-Nintendo fighters in the roster.

Unfortunately, I am not that informed on Esports, so I cannot share my comments about most of the news and winners about it. However, I’m slightly surprised that Overwatch managed to win Best Esports Game since the game is older compared to the recently popular Fortnite.

All in all, I’m not that excited for most of the winnings and announcements, probably because I’m not familiar with most of the games listed. However, I’m curious to see whether these new games make it to next year’s Game Awards, or whether they’ll even be released by that time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Granblue Fantasy's upcoming PS4 games

My first blog entry! - Introduction